[gobolinux-users] Re: gobolinux for simple users

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Sun Jan 30 11:24:22 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:00:38PM +1000, Ben Myles wrote:
> I know you can use frameworks in GNUstep, but that doesn't help with
> the 99% of apps that have nothing to do with GNUstep.

I haven't really looked into this in detail, but you could probably
rework the entire shared library system mostly transparently by
replacing the ELF loader.  But of course that runs the risk of:

  - breaking binary compatability for apps compiled on non-Gobo
    systems if it isn't done very carefully.

  - becoming a maintenance nightmare since every time libc is patched
    or updated you might have to redo the loader as well.  I believe
    Gobo tries to avoid using patches of this sort.

The alternative is figuring out some way to simulate a Frameworks-like
system by (for example) using a new and more complex system for making
the /lib symlinks.

                                                  -Dave Dodge