[gobolinux-users] Re: More on upgrading

Carlo Calica ccalica at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 04:27:53 GMT 2005

On 6/15/05, Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/13/05, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
> The current compromises: (a) the init scripts don't get upgraded
> automatically, (b) no reboot-less "runlevel" switching. Ideally, (a)
> shouldn't be that much of a problem once the BootScripts architecture
> gets stable -- but I may be way off mark here, I'm all ears for
> counter-arguments. About (b), personally I question its actual
> usefulness (I believe a live CD or a rescue partition provides a
> better means of doing emergency maintenance than "going single user"),
> but I understand if people think differently. I do think, however,
> that adding full-fledged runlevel support will add a non-neglectable
> deal of complexity to the scripts. Thus, if people really want
> runlevels, I'd prefer to have an alternative, Tasks-compatible,
> "PowerBootScripts" package available as an option. If somebody comes
> up with this, we'll gladly add it as a selection item in the CD
> Installer. [Support issues should not be ignored, though: "-- Where do
> I add foo on boot?" "-- Which boot scripts are you using?"]

My old aBootScripts could be dusted off and extended to provide
runlevel support. You are right, it is a significant amount of code
for that feature and a few more.  It could be converted to use Tasks
with little effort.

> > Hotplug doesn't seem to behave here. I'm now telling the kernel
> > to run udev itself, or devices for some hardware like soundcards
> > don't seem to appear. I installed udev some time ago, following
> > the instructions from this list, so it's probably my customisation
> > and the old bootscripts.
> >
> > Networking options. The comments from way back said dhcp or none
> > were the settings for BootProto, but it means don't set it, not
> > set it to the word "none". It used to work, but didn't any more.
> > Not sure what changed, as it's old bootscripts.
> >
> > Any light that some expert can throw on the whole hotplug/ udev/
> > bootscripts mess I've made would be very welcome.

Make sure you're running the newest hotplug and udev.  I have the same
problem when I upgraded one and not the other.  Current proper
behavior is to config kernel for udev which calls hotplug.

PS  My dev system had a meltdown about a month ago.  If you've sent me
anything please send again to new gmail acct.

--
Carlo J. Calica