[gobolinux-users] Re: gobolinux-users Digest, Vol 13, Issue 6

Lucas Correia Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Wed Oct 19 01:55:53 GMT 2005

On Monday 17 October 2005 20:56, Vincent . wrote:
> > Is this driver available for the kernel shipped on
> >012? We have
> >compiled every SCSI driver as a module for that ISO,
> >so if it's  there, doing a modprobe + udevstart is
> >enough.
>
> I'm not sure if it's available or there.  The issue is
> more along the lines that it's not loaded at first
> boot, so the CD-ROM drive cannot be found.

Ah, I think it was only related to the hard disk drive. I've
misread your message, sorry. Unfortunately, this problem can only
be solved by generating a new ISO with your SCSI drivers compiled
built-in in the kernel. Currently, the ISO assumes that at least
the CD-ROM drive is connected in the IDE interface. This is going
to be fixed on the next release, where we plan to have more than
one image available in the ISO.

> dmesg shows a message "cannot identify the file format
> of the CD".  Note: dmesg does not show enumeration of
> the SCSI devices or the optical drives.
>
> Further down I get:
>
> chroot: cannot execute /usr/bin/env:  No such file or
> directory
>
> I then get a RAMDISK prompt and typing in modprobe I
> get: "could not parse modules.dep"

That's because modules.dep is stored inside the SquashFS image,
which is stored on the CD. Since it cannot mount the CD, this file
is unreacheable.

> >If it doesn't work, you can add an entry into the
> >'Reports on 012'
> >section of our wiki at http://gobolinux.org/kb.
>
> I guess I will do that.  I think that the Kernel needs
> to be compiled with the Fusion driver in it so those
> machines that have the CD-ROM attached to the SCSI
> card can get to the next state of the Live CD.

Good to know that. We're going to gather all the information from
our wiki to fix problems on 013, so any reminder is very welcome.

For now, there are two things that you could do. The simplest one
is to temporary use an IDE CD-ROM drive, which should work fine.
The other one involves generating a new ISO with an updated
kernel. Unfortunately I'm out of time now to create a special
release supporting this feature, but I can surelly help if you'd
like to do that yourself.

Cheers,

--
Lucas