[gobolinux-users] IO Slaves Problem

Nick Matteo kundor at kundor.org
Thu Oct 20 04:55:36 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 08:25, rotem zach wrote:
> The file is there:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 49 Oct 17 15:21
> /System/Links/Libraries/kde3/kcm_fontinst.la ->
> /Programs/KDE-Base/3.4.3/lib/kde3/kcm_fontinst.la

The problem is that your $KDEDIRS variable is not set correctly, probably.
There's the incremental solution to this, where you make sure that every KDE
package has a Resources/Environment file with the line:
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIRS:/Programs/<this app>/Current
Then SymlinkProgram that app again.  Make sure KDEDIR is unset.

Alternately, you can take the radical approach, which obviates the need for
those files and makes sure than any new KDE app installed works without
modification.  This entails creating symlinks in /System/Links:
bin->Executables, sbin->Executables, lib->Libraries, include->Headers,
share->Shared.  Then you can gobohide those symlinks.  Then get rid of
anything that sets KDEDIRS, and instead make sure your environment sets
KDEDIR=/System/Links.  That's what I do.  However, keep in mind that this is
non-standard, iconoclastic behavior ;-)

Nick