[gobolinux-users] Re: CUPS and user lp

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 06:33:43 GMT 2005

On 9/1/05, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:
> Why is adding a new user difficult? I do that for other daemon recipes
> like MySQL:

Only works in recipes, not in binary packages. Global system
modifications in recipes are considered harmful... at least by me. ;)

It seems that adding users is the single most frequent "post-install"
activity needed in packages.

I hereby propose this:

* Implement a well-defined protocol to let a package add users.
* Support post-install scripts in packages _running in the sandbox_,
allowed to write only it the program's own directory (for creating ssh
keys, for example).

-- Hisham