[gobolinux-users] Re: 'encodings.dir' in true type font dir

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:58:38 GMT 2005

On 9/6/05, Albert <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
> <snip>
> > Or do you have an encodings.dir and you don't know where it came from?
> > That I don't know. Most of the encodings.dir on my system seem old and
> > stale (like left from the installation) and not all font dirs have
> > one.
>
> FWIW, the contents of encodings.dir are probably useless; If you
> look inside you will see that the paths are all
> /Packages/XFree86/..., rather than /Packages/Xorg/...; The whole
> thing seems to have been cut-and-pasted from a pre-xorg installation.

Relevant section in /System/Settings/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/Programs/Xorg/Current/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/System/Links/Libraries/modules"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/Type1"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/TrueType"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/CID"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/Cyrillic"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/Ghostscript"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/Misc"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/OTF"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath     "/Files/Fonts/TTF"
EndSection

Relevant section to add in /System/Settings/fonts/local.conf:

        <dir>/Files/Fonts/TrueType</dir>
        <dir>/Files/Fonts/Type1</dir>
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
        <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

More info:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XOrg_Font_Configuration

I don't think encodings.dir is the problem with your setup. I think
that's not used when you're using Xft (new font engine in Xorg). Do
you have FreeType and Fontconfig installed?

-- Hisham