Michael Homer gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com
Fri Dec 1 00:07:18 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Martin Baldan <martinobal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:
> >
> > I guess that's possible - automated is really a bit of a stretch, but
> > in a lot of cases it could be mostly automatic. It's likely to cause
> > difficult-to-find bugs, though. I think you'd need to at the least
> > check, and probably make a few fixes, to the patches for every
> > program. In any case, Gobo policy has always been to patch as little
> > as possible, and I don't see that changing for this sort of minimal
> > benefit. It would need to be a very complicated system to handle
> > everything, especially with that level of patching.
> >

> I know and very much agree with Gobo policy. I should have been more clear
> on this: the process would involve no patching, in the sense that no patches
> would be kept around. Instead, what would happen is compile-time source
> edition, which can be implemented as a temporary patched file, to be
> discarded after compilation.
>
> Keeping a patched file would be a bad idea, among other things, because you
> would have to modify the patch each time a library is sub-versioned.
>
> What I have in mind is this: Compile reads the source, extracts the library
> versions required, then it checks which full versions (real libraries) of
> these required libraries are installed in the system, then it checks which
> of those have been tested by Gobo users with the application it is
> compiling, it decides which one to use, creates a temporary patched file
> where the original library names are replaced with the new names, compiles
> this temporary file and then discards it. No dirty hacking is involved,
> Compile doen't make up library names, they are all valid names taken from
> the system and from the online database. In which ways do you think this
> system may fail?
How are you determining what it links against? How are you changing
the linking values? Both of those are going to have to be guesses (I
guess you could just patch the linker to do it, but I wouldn't want to
do that on a system I cared about). The simplest approach is a simple
text replacement, but that's obviously going to have problems
sometimes, so you'd need to parse out everything and understand it
before you changed it. It'd be enormously difficult.
-Michael