Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 18:55:06 UTC 2006

On 12/2/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:

> There may also be problems if a dependent library of Foo is linked
> against a different version of Bar than Foo is. That means library
> compatibility couldn't be updated until every dependent (and
> co-reliant) program was verified as well.

I think I've just seen this point of yours, and the answer is that, when a
library itself depends on other libraries, its real name is not enough for
compatibility purposes. You also need to know what it has been linked
against in your system. This information should be stored locally and
uploaded to the database as well. So, if a library's real name is
libfoo.so.3.1 , then we could say that its "recursively real name" is
something like libfoo.so.3.1-linkedagainst-libbar.so.4.2- -
linkedagainst-libwatever.so.5.3. Knowing the recursively real names of every
library an application has been tested with should be safe.