Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 21:32:33 UTC 2006

How about this:

We leave the linking policy as it is now (the linker links against sonames,
each soname points to a real name) BUT there a table in the system that maps
real names to recursively-real names. This table is updated each time you
compile, recompile or relink something. When you want to update a library,
the system takes the real name of the proposed new minor version, it looks
up the corresponding R-R name (generated during compilation of the new
minor vesion library) and then checks in the compatibility database that the
new R-R name has been tested with all the applications currently installed
in your system. If not, you may ask which applications might break, and then
decide what to do. If you compile and run and get no problems, that's more
info for the online database. It wouln't be as slow as it sounds, since most
of the times this information would be cached by the database ("are all
currently installed apps tested-compatible with this R-R name? yes/no").