Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 02:15:11 UTC 2006

On 12/3/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:

The "most of them will never be tested" part might be a little bit of
> a problem; it means people will always be running into untested
> versions, and they'll either always be upgrading or just learn to
> ignore it (which will populate the database, so a certain level of
> ignoring is required).

Well, here is where  a smart update manager would help. It would take note
of all possible updates and recommend batch, en masse updates from time to
time. The bulk of these batch updates would be done in the background, then
the user would be asked for permission to replace old installed libraries
with the new, already compiled ones.

The R-R names would really need to be trees, rather than flat strings,
> to cover the whole range of possibilities. At the very least they need
> to be a set as opposed to just 'foo-1.0.so-linkedwith-...', to handle
> ordering.

But you can map trees to strings, and make the sub-nodes of a node be
ordered alphabetically (ASCII order). Having a unique name simplifies
things. For instance, if you let me use brackets,it would look like:

(app1 (lib1 (lib3 lib5 lib6 ) (lib4 lib7 lib8)) lib2)

Which means app1, linked against lib1 and lib2, where lib1 is linked against
lib3 and lib4, where lib3 is linked against lib5 and lib6, and lib4 is
linked against lib7 and lib8.

> Regarding user cooperation, I'm thinking it could be integrated in the
> > recipe uploading scheme.
> Wouldn't that mean that each program only ever gets tested with one
> set of installed dependencies?

No, I didn't mean it so literally. Whenever a recipe is uploaded, indeed a
test is also generated. But it would be also possible to generate tests
without generating recipes. I mean that recipe uploading should (and
probably will) be more automated anyway, so from a user POV, uploading a
recipe and uploading a test would be hardly distinguishable and trivially
easy to do. The same kind of prompt/pop-up after compilation and the like.
If recipe uploading is managed by automatically sending a mail, then test
uploading can be managed in the same way, etc.

I'm still not convinced the benefit is worth the effort, but if you
> can make patches (or better yet, at least to begin with, wrappers for
> proof of concept) to implement all of that optionally, go ahead. It'd
> be worth seeing if other people are interested in it first.

When I have the time, in a few days, I'd love to try to figure that out. I
guess I would have to learn quite a lot first, though, but the first step is
to make sure it's not an pointless thing to do. Any kind of help or
suggestions are welcome ;)

--Martin