[gobolinux-users] New Idea: From the blog.

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Sun Dec 3 10:04:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 08:10:59 +0100, Rayne Van-Dunem
<raynenamibia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did anyone read the comments to the most-recent Gobo-related Digg story?
>
> Once again, its been mentioned that Mac OS X accomplishes what it does
> with
> applications by means of a navigable drag-and-drop GUI + an
> "Applications"
> folder.
>
> Then I Google for "linux+drag-and-drop", only to find that there's
> little to
> no mention of drag-and-drop for a made-for-linux user interface.
>
> I see one or two here and there which state that GNOME is
> lessdrag-and-drop-oriented than Mac OS X because its
> main development focus is for Windows
> users<http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/06/lesser-known-drag-and-drop-tips-in.html>
> .
>
> So I've written up this blogpiece as a
> thought<http://gobolinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/drag-and-drop-or-application-as.html>on
> the lack of, and need for more Drag-and-Drop. Halfway through it, I
> make
> a realization.
>
> Of course, this might be less within the periphery of the Gobo devs and
> more
> within the realm of the KDE and GNOME devs, but I would simply like to
> know
> what you all think. Thanks.

I have been thinking to post a comment on that blog, but have run out of
time. What you suggest is already possible in GoboLinux (or any other
distro using listener) unrelated to what desktop environment you use. I'm
not sure what default settings Listener is configured with on 013, but
with the right settings enabled, all you have to do to install a package
is to drag'n'drop the GoboLinux package in /Programs. It's then upacked
and symlinked automatically. Same for uninstall, if you delete an
application directory in /Programs the symlinks are automatically cleaned
 from /System/Links. All done with listener.

I bet there are more things one can do with this, but so far these rules
are the ones distributed with Listener.

As for trash bins - I really hate those! (but that's just me)

--
/Jonas