[gobolinux-users] New Idea: From the blog.

Rayne Van-Dunem raynenamibia at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 15:18:04 UTC 2006

On 12/3/06, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> "Rayne Van-Dunem" <raynenamibia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did anyone read the comments to the most-recent Gobo-related Digg story?
>
> I don't know.  I didn't.  What were they?

This Digg story. Submitted this past
Thursday.<http://digg.com/linux_unix/Gobo_Linux_Makes_Installing_Apps_As_Easy_As_OSX>Surprisingly,
it was a review by a member of an Indy music site.

> Once again, its been mentioned that Mac OS X accomplishes what it does
> with
> > applications by means of a navigable drag-and-drop GUI + an
> "Applications"
> > folder.
>
> What does it do with applications?  GNUstep has Applications folders
> and GWorkspace provides a navigable drag-and-drop GUI.

 It install applications by means of the user dragging-and-dropping the
downloaded DMG from, say, the Desktop (the default location for downloads
through Safari or Firefox) to the Applications folder. It then mounts the
DMG (literally, "Disk image", like an ISO) as a virtual drive, although that
Disk image thing might be a hangover from the days of the Floppy Disk drives
on the Old World Macs, when floppies were the main means of application
distribution..

> Then I Google for "linux+drag-and-drop" [...]
>
> Won't google interpret that as linux AND drag AND NOT and AND
> NOT drop, give or take its usual randomness?

Whoops. <http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+drag+and+drop&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>

Rayne