Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 17:21:53 UTC 2006

I'm thinking of a way to embed the R-R names in the gobo filesystem.
Jonatan's proposal may be good, but I still don't get what happens with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
 Meanwhile, I'll propose the following: Every library binary (a real file
with a library real name) is stored in its own subdirectory, along with a
LinkedAgainst file that describes what it has been linked against during
compilation. Alternatively, if this is too disruptive, there can be a
directory called /Programs/foo/Resources/LinkedAgainst where each library
has information on what it has been linked against.
For instance,
/Programs/Pango/1.13.2/Resources/LinkedAgainst/lib/libpangocairo-
1.0.so.0.1302.0 would be a file with a list of qualified sonames (that is, a
list of the sonames this library was linked against).

This way, it should be possible to reconstruct the R-R name of a library.
You take its qualified real name (real name and location), go up the tree
until you find Resources, descend and look up the real name's LinkedAgainst
file, where you get qualified sonames it was linked against; you go to the
adress of the first qualified soname, follow the link to the real name, then
go up the tree until you find Resources, look up the real name and so on.

Jonatan's proposal is a bit different and it involves runtime changes. I
don't know whether or how this fits with the R-R names scheme. We'll see.

--Martin