Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 01:43:28 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:

> I don't think you really have a choice. Doing it properly by patching
> the kernel would be difficult to impossible, and I certainly wouldn't
> use a kernel patched to use X.

I was not thinking of the kernel directly drawing a pop-up, just sending an
event, or a message, or changing a global variable, something simple.

> So you're manually patching all shells, command-line and desktop?
> Well... good luck with that, then. Pretty unlikely to make it into
> Gobo, though. And all the other problems with automatic detection
> still apply.

Oh, come on, some day Gobo will need custom  error messages  in their most
used desktops environments. All distros do that. If this needs doing patchs
to, say, kde, it will be done. You can keep the unpatched kde, I install the
patched kde and everyone's happy :D

GNOME and KDE have back-handed tricks to do those popups for their own
> applications that would require patching to implement elsewhere. They
> also do a little bit of guesswork.

So, KDE only needs a little bit of patching, so that every time it will show
an error popup, it sends a negative vote.

No matter how you do that, you're going to have to do a lot of
> patching - whether it's to add a wrapper for everything or to make
> them hook in to another system, or to add a chunk of guesswork logic
> into all the shells. The latter two aren't really plausible. Adding
> wrappers to everything would be the easiest way to do it.

But  it doesn't seem scalable. How easy would it be to add those wrappers?
Can it be automated?

One simpler way to do it: You could make applications launch
> immediately after compiling to test (like installers do on Windows).
> There's still the issue of knowing which binary(ies) to run, but
> you've got all the logic in one place and it's not too unexpected that
> it'd be there. That could all be architected fairly unobtrusively to
> people who didn't want to use the system.

I don't think that fills the bill, because sometimes several applications
are affected (remember we talked of batch updates?) and users can't be
expected to try them all on the spot.

-Martin