Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:19:33 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:

> On 12/4/06, Martin Baldan <martinobal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 12/4/06, Michael Homer <gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com> wrote:
>

> To be clear though, this will never, ever make it into Gobo, unless
> you manage to get the patch included in the vanilla kernel. Gobo does
> bug-fix patches only (needing the FHS links is a bug).

Nah, I'll fork the Linux kernel, then :D

Seriously, you make it sound as if I'm asking for something very strange and
unwanted, but this kind of integration is something many agree is needed.
KDE has its way of solving it, for KDE apps (a lot of them), Gnome has its
way of solving it, then there's the Freedesktop project to integrate both
and the Elektra project to integrate everything (yes, I like the sound of
the Elektra project, I know it's been proposed here and I know it's been
rejected because Gobo devs think it's beyond the scope of a single distro,
but if Elektra is adopted by app developers, it will make it into Gobo.
That's for another thread).

So, to sum up: We need some convenient way for users to tell about
application misbehaviours. We can always do it manually, with some simple
command and the name of the app. The next level of automation would may
involve wrappers, or little patches for KDE, Gnome and other DEs (somehow
done on-the-fly thanks to a patch in Compile?), or a test-phase right after
compilation... what seems clear is that more integration is the future of
Linux. Meanwhile, we have all these ways for users to report bugs (something
every distro must do). This information is fed into the compatibility
database. The more info, the better, but it's not vital that every app has
an automated way of doing that. It's just desirable.

--Martin