Martin Baldan martinobal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 20:51:32 UTC 2006

I have something to say about the patching policy as well. I've read the
arguments of why Gobo only patches for bugfixes, and I must agree: if a user
types 'Compile kde', he should get the pristine, untouched KDE. Doing
otherwise can be annoying for users and is arguably a kind of disrespect for
KDE developers.

 But, in a sense, a patch can be viewed as a mini-project  in itself.
Programs are developed for operating systems; patches are written for
programs. What if a user could type 'Compile kde - -patch foo' and one of
two things happens: either a new name is generated kde-5.3.1-patch-foo, or
the name kde is kept, but you can look in
/Programs/kde/3.5.1/Resources/Patches and you find 'foo' there. There could
be repositories of patches for Gobolinux (not just bug fixes, but also
features that only Gobo users want, and are not accepted upstream) , and
Gobo need not be responsible for those repositories, just as it's not
responsible for every application's site. If a user is having problems with
a patched program, he can either recompile it without the patch, or ask the
patch maintainer about the problem. Do you think this would still be against
the Gobo policy?

--Martin