[gobolinux-users] A brief report and some questions

Benjamin Bruheim grolgh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 06:25:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

I installed Gobo a few days ago, and here's a few tidbits on my install so far:

First issue was that the driver for my WIFI USB card was not in the
kernel, so I had to find that and compile it. I had to download the
sources for the kernel, which was a bit hard to understand the entire
procedure for. I suggest that it should be included in future
releases.

Secondly, X-Windows was just configured for 1024x768 resolution; this
was fixed with some minor fixes to xorg.conf. I haven't gotten 3D
accelleration to work yet (which is weird since I thought this was
supported by the stock server; it is an Intel device). Are there any
tools that could assist in setting up the videocard properly?

Some time later I also noted that SVN is not compiled with SSL
support, and when compiling from recipe this didn't fix the issue
either.

I do notice that Jackd is not compiled with the alsa-driver. I haven't
tried to compile it from recipe yet, but I do hope that fixes it.

I also figured out the recipe for WxPython was broken. But this is
non-trivial to fix (for me) since it is a multistage install. First a
regular configure-install, then a setup.py-install. Any ideas?

And while SciTE compiled nicely it gives me a really backtrace when I
run it. But this might be a bit too specific for this list. I am now
at least looking for a new editor that's good for Python.

Otherwise it has been enjoyable so far. I am looking forward to see
this system evolve further, and I must thank everyone who has helped
for a great job.

This system gives me a few ideas on what to do in the long term with
this install, and I feel like ranting about two of them.
First I'd like to find a way between Gnome and KDE. Both of them have
huge dependency-graphs, and you always end up having a lot of both
after you have installed enough programs. There are efforts to
minimize this gap such as gtk-qt-engine and the desktop.org project,
but I want to further work on finding a desktop that is neither KDE or
Gnome, but its own kind of desktop. ROX desktop might be an
alternative, but I haven't tried it yet. Are there other nice
desktops? I do use the terminal a lot, but I am not looking for one of
those terminal-centric desktops.

The second thing is related; I want to work towards creating an Audio
Distro by collecting a lot of music creation packages, put them
together in a desktop as the one mentioned above, and configure it
properly and make sure the software interoperates properly. There are
a lot of projects that has come and gone over the years, and I think I
can use this to properly assess the state of audio on Linux by testing
if they work in the preferred audio environment.

Configuring includes avoiding ESound and Artsd which are evils that
the gnome/kde project introduced. I haven't got a name for it, but it
sounds like both these projects have grown a tendency to create their
own systems instead of looking what already exists. And while they
blame each other I think both both are to blame for this "inner
platform" effect. Anyway, this will be a lot of work, but at least
this distribution makes it seem realistically possible.

\\ Benjamin