[gobolinux-users] A brief report and some questions

André Detsch detsch at gobolinux.org
Sun Dec 10 13:58:53 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, Benjamin Bruheim <grolgh at gmail.com> wrote:
> First issue was that the driver for my WIFI USB card was not in the
> kernel, so I had to find that and compile it. I had to download the
> sources for the kernel, which was a bit hard to understand the entire
> procedure for. I suggest that it should be included in future
> releases.

The process is simplified by calling:
Compile Linux

This downloads the latest recipe for the kernel, gets you into make
menuconfig, and, after compilation, places the kernel image (as long
as the modules) in the right place.

> Secondly, X-Windows was just configured for 1024x768 resolution; this
> was fixed with some minor fixes to xorg.conf. I haven't gotten 3D
> accelleration to work yet (which is weird since I thought this was
> supported by the stock server; it is an Intel device). Are there any
> tools that could assist in setting up the videocard properly?

Basically, we use Xorg -configure, so we don't have much advanced
configuration tools for that process.

> Some time later I also noted that SVN is not compiled with SSL
> support, and when compiling from recipe this didn't fix the issue
> either.

Ok, the recipe needs to be fixed. Due to structural changes on the
recipes management, the recipe store is temporarily not being updated,
but I think a fix for this was already mentioned somewhere on the
lists.

> I do notice that Jackd is not compiled with the alsa-driver. I haven't
> tried to compile it from recipe yet, but I do hope that fixes it.

Ok, we need to add alsa inside Jack's recipe Dependencies file. I'll try this.

> I also figured out the recipe for WxPython was broken. But this is
> non-trivial to fix (for me) since it is a multistage install. First a
> regular configure-install, then a setup.py-install. Any ideas?

Maybe add this extra step inside pre_link()?

> Otherwise it has been enjoyable so far. I am looking forward to see
> this system evolve further, and I must thank everyone who has helped
> for a great job.

Thank you!
As we have now walking towards better recipe management and official
binary package compilation, this kind of report you gave is more
important than ever. Thanks for them :)

> This system gives me a few ideas on what to do in the long term with
> this install, and I feel like ranting about two of them.
> First I'd like to find a way between Gnome and KDE. Both of them have
> huge dependency-graphs, and you always end up having a lot of both
> after you have installed enough programs. There are efforts to
> minimize this gap such as gtk-qt-engine and the desktop.org project,
> but I want to further work on finding a desktop that is neither KDE or
> Gnome, but its own kind of desktop. ROX desktop might be an
> alternative, but I haven't tried it yet. Are there other nice
> desktops? I do use the terminal a lot, but I am not looking for one of
> those terminal-centric desktops.

Gnome still does not has a good set of recipes, but I think the time
is approaching for us to have a decent way to compile it easily.
You can take a look at XFCE, it has a working dependencies set
(AFAIK), and I plan to provide official packages for it soon.

> The second thing is related; I want to work towards creating an Audio
> Distro by collecting a lot of music creation packages, put them
> together in a desktop as the one mentioned above, and configure it
> properly and make sure the software interoperates properly. There are
> a lot of projects that has come and gone over the years, and I think I
> can use this to properly assess the state of audio on Linux by testing
> if they work in the preferred audio environment.

You'll probably find GoboLinux very 'customization friendly'.
When you get in the stage of building your own iso images, take a look
at http://gobolinux.org/?page=livecd, and count on us to assist you on
the process.

> Configuring includes avoiding ESound and Artsd which are evils that
> the gnome/kde project introduced. I haven't got a name for it, but it
> sounds like both these projects have grown a tendency to create their
> own systems instead of looking what already exists. And while they
> blame each other I think both both are to blame for this "inner
> platform" effect.

Regarding explicit avoidance of certain evil dependencies, you can
count on 'ChrootCompile'. This is a somewhat new tool, that still
needs some polishing, but it provides a to the compilation of the
packages a clean environment (only with base packages + those listed
inside Resources/Dependencies and Resources/BuildDependencies of the
recipe). That's the way we are compiling official packages now.

> Anyway, this will be a lot of work, but at least
> this distribution makes it seem realistically possible.

Sure, I think even it will not be too hard to do what you want. The
most relevant part is to provide recipes compilable with
ChrootCompile. Having this done, preparing a custom system is a really
easy task.

--
Andre Detsch