[gobolinux-users] A brief report and some questions

Andy Feldman nereusren at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 17:38:50 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, André Detsch <detsch at gobolinux.org> wrote:
> On 12/10/06, Benjamin Bruheim <grolgh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > First issue was that the driver for my WIFI USB card was not in the
> > kernel, so I had to find that and compile it. I had to download the
> > sources for the kernel, which was a bit hard to understand the entire
> > procedure for. I suggest that it should be included in future
> > releases.
>
> The process is simplified by calling:
> Compile Linux
>
> This downloads the latest recipe for the kernel, gets you into make
> menuconfig, and, after compilation, places the kernel image (as long
> as the modules) in the right place.

I don't think the intent was to recompile the kernel. Rather, he was
looking for kernel *headers* that matched the configuration of the
shipped kernel, so he could compile *modules* against them. From an
earlier discussion on this list, even downloading the full sources
with Compile --no-build Linux apparently doesn't work, because the
configuration is not the same. Lucas ended up posting a 10MB tarball
of the requisite headers. See the mailing list archives at:
http://www.wotfun.com/pipermail/gobolinux-users/2006-November/003998.html
http://www.wotfun.com/pipermail/gobolinux-users/2006-November/004020.html

I would also like to see the proper headers shipped on future release
.isos, since my first step after installing is always to compile the
shim for the NVidia binary-blob drivers.

-Andy