[gobolinux-users] Internet problem in 013

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Sat Dec 16 17:02:58 UTC 2006

On 12/16/06, Andy Feldman <nereusren at gmail.com> wrote:
> Neither of those solutions seemed to help. The only change I noticed
> is that after recompiling the kernel (I also went up to the latest
> version with a recipe: 2.6.18.3), the dmfe driver actually showed up
> in lsmod, along with an entry in dmesg confirming that it loaded the
> driver for a Davicom 9XXX ethernet card. dmfe doesn't show up in lsmod
> in 012, nor did it show up in 013 with the default kernel.

Hmm, it might be possible that this card used another driver in the
past. What does lsmod show on 012?

> I checked to make sure the dmfe module that was loaded was from the
> new kernel, and that the patch was applied properly in the
> /F/Compile/Sources directory.
>
> Removing acpi=off from menu.lst had no immediately noticeable change.

:-(

> Tonight I'll try downgrading the whole kernel to 2.6.11.9 (which I use
> in 012) just to confirm whether that is the problem. If that works,
> I'll try using 2.6.11.9's dmfe.c with the rest of the 2.6.18.3 kernel.
>
> What's the fastest way to recompile the kernel if I am only changing
> one .c file? Compile --lazy Linux? Or can I even get away with just
> recompiling the dmfe.ko module in this case? I'm hesitant to take
> shortcuts when troubleshooting, because I never know which steps are
> important to solving the problem.

You can just run Compile Linux and tell it to use the existing
directory at /Files/Compile/Sources. Its build system is smart enough
to skip already compiled objects and will just do that for the
modified file(s).

--
Lucas