[gobolinux-users] Great Work! Some comments, questions, and suggestions

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Dec 18 09:17:47 UTC 2006

Joshua Sako <jginsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> GoboLinux seems to use the original Init system. Is there any plans to
> try out and possibly transition to Ubuntu's new events-based Init
> system, Upstart? I've not had the occasion to use it myself, but after
> reading through the docs, I like the design a lot.

Which docs are those?

GoboLinux is using a custom Init system, last I saw.  It's a bit
quicker than sysV but a bit more modular than traditional BSD.

I like the idea of using GNU Make to run the Init system, as it could
figure out dependencies and run subtasks in parallel if invoked with -j
but I've not had time to experiment yet.  Surprisingly, I didn't find
any mention of people trying that before.  Anyone want to blaze
another trail?

> Autotools is byzantine, arcane, and overcomplicated, so a lot of
> projects are switching to other systems. I noticed that Compile has the
> ability to use different "modes" for just such an occasion, but there is
> a distinct lack of a cmake mode. Is this something that will be added in
> future, considering that the entirety of the KDE software stack will use
> it for now on?

What is cmake?  I suspect Compile would benefit from more modular mode
support, but I also suspect that would involve quite a few changes to
the basic system.

Welcome to gobo!
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.