[gobolinux-users] Great Work! Some comments, questions, and suggestions

Joshua Sako jginsu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 03:42:09 UTC 2006

MJ Ray wrote:

>Joshua Sako <jginsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>GoboLinux seems to use the original Init system. Is there any plans to
>>try out and possibly transition to Ubuntu's new events-based Init
>>system, Upstart? I've not had the occasion to use it myself, but after
>>reading through the docs, I like the design a lot.
>>

>Which docs are those?

You can read about Upstart here: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

And here's an interesting blog from one of the developers:
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/category/upstart

There is also a wiki: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/

>GoboLinux is using a custom Init system, last I saw.  It's a bit
>quicker than sysV but a bit more modular than traditional BSD.

Ahh! I thought GoboLinux was using the classic SysV system, just nicely
trimmed down.

>>Autotools is byzantine, arcane, and overcomplicated, so a lot of
>>projects are switching to other systems. I noticed that Compile has the
>>ability to use different "modes" for just such an occasion, but there is
>>a distinct lack of a cmake mode. Is this something that will be added in
>>future, considering that the entirety of the KDE software stack will use
>>it for now on?
>>

>What is cmake?

cmake is a replacement for the Autotools toolchain. Like Autotools, it
produces makefiles as output. Unlike Autotools, the syntax is readable
and understandable without decending into Lovecraftian levels of madness.

As I said, KDE is switching entirely to using it in KDE4. You can read
about it here: http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Index.html

>I suspect Compile would benefit from more modular mode
>support, but I also suspect that would involve quite a few changes to
>the basic system.

I'm referring to these particular documents:
http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/Recipe_format_specification

And: http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/Recipe_types

These detail that Compile already has modular code support in the form
of "modes". I was just wondering if there were any plans to include a
cmake mode.

>Welcome to gobo!

Thanks! Great to be here!