[gobolinux-users] Great Work! Some comments, questions, and suggestions

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Dec 20 09:08:10 UTC 2006

Joshua Sako <jginsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> >What is cmake?
> >
> cmake is a replacement for the Autotools toolchain. Like Autotools, it
> produces makefiles as output. Unlike Autotools, the syntax is readable
> and understandable without decending into Lovecraftian levels of madness.
>
> As I said, KDE is switching entirely to using it in KDE4. You can read
> about it here: http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Index.html

I don't see the attraction of cmake.  Its example
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Examples.html
doesn't look simpler than the automake example
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#amhello-Explained

I'm also slightly worried that you wrote "makefiles" not "makefile" -
does cmake force use of recursive make? (which is Considered Harmful
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf
)

But, I guess that KDE use is going to force many tools to support it.
Can it be supported in a is_makefile Recipe with a pre_build()
function?

> >I suspect Compile would benefit from more modular mode
> >support, but I also suspect that would involve quite a few changes to
> >the basic system.
> >
> I'm referring to these particular documents:
> http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/Recipe_format_specification
>
> And: http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/Recipe_types
>
> These detail that Compile already has modular code support in the form
> of "modes". I was just wondering if there were any plans to include a
> cmake mode.

At least in /bin/Compile here, the recipe_type variable is used in
branching, not in any modular way.  Adding a new type seems to involve
hacking Compile to branch through the steps differently.  It would be
good to be able to add new types by adding a definition file instead,
but as I wrote: I also suspect that would involve quite a few changes
to the basic system.

Hope that explains,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.