[gobolinux-users] Having trouble with software upgrades/installations

Andy Feldman nereusren at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 18:53:21 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Travis Evans <travisgevans at cox.net> wrote:
> [various reports on Manager and recursive dependencies]

I'll try to address a few of these things from another user's
standpoint. (One or more of the devs will probably chime in as well,
but since they haven't yet, I can help you out with some of the
problems.) First I should say that I think the biggest problem is the
documentation. It's nice as a reference, but if I wanted an accurate
up-to-date explanation of how to perform some task, I'd choose to ask
here on the mailing list rather than reading the wiki.

That said, I've experienced some of the same problems as you in 013:

/Files/Compile should be world-writable, and I don't think it is by
default. If you issue 'sudo chmod a+w /Files/Compile' you'll be able
to call Compile as a regular user without those permission errors, and
it will prompt you for your password when it needs it. (There are a
few recipes like the Linux kernel that still need to be run with 'sudo
Compile Linux', but those are the exception. I normally run Compile
and InstallPackage as a normal user.)

I agree that Manager isn't very usable, although not because mine
crashes... it just doesn't deal with interaction very well (for
example when you are prompted to install dependencies). I use Manager
as a convenient way to list which programs are available, but I always
drop to the command line to perform the installation. The Scripts are
extremely easy to use (being designed for standalone use rather than
designed for the Manager, it seems) so I'd suggest you do the same
rather than trying to fight with the python issues that you're having.

The command-line 100%-cpu lockup when it prompts you to install a
dependency's dependency seems to be a new bug, as I've noticed the
same thing with the most recent release of the system Scripts. I just
use a simple workaround: open a new tab in Konsole, install the
dependency, then go back to the original tab and say "skip." This also
helps prevent me from getting confused about what I was originally
installing, which can happen if I keep getting prompted for
dependencies :-).

> After I had upgraded the KDE packages from 3.5.3 to 3.5.5, I was able to
> log back into KDE, but now there was no font anti-aliasing,

I had the same problems, but the solution turns out to be easy:
Somehow, KDE 3.5.5 just changed my default font choice to a font that
wasn't anti-aliased. Go to ControlCenter > Appearence&Themes > Fonts,
and open up one of the font selectors. As you scroll through the
fonts, some of them should look nice and smooth, in contrast with the
current selection. (Charter? Lucida? I forget what it was by default,
but it looks like crap when it's all jagged :-) ). I'll suggest using
Bitstream Vera Sans (my preference), but most of the fonts in the list
seem to be anti-aliased, so just pick anything except the few that
aren't. You might need to make the same choice in Firefox
(Edit>Preferences>Content) if it doesn't pick up on the KDE change.

> all the
> window widgets looked wrong, and most of the styles in KDE Control
> Center > Appearance and Themes > Style were missing... but I guess
> that's a whole different problem.

As for the window styles, I also noticed that some of the normal
styles (such as Plastik, which I prefer) were missing. I don't know
exactly what I did to fix it, but it seems like they just showed up.
Maybe you could try it again after restarting the system, if you
haven't. One of the perils of the GoboLinux filesystem hierarchy is
that the KDEDIRS environment variable needs to be updated for each new
program directory that adds a KDE library. This happens automatically
using the Environment file inside
/Programs/[RandomKDEprog]/Current/Resources/, but that file needs to
be sourced before the system is able to find any of the new KDE
components. The easiest way to make sure this happens is just to
reboot the system.

If restarting doesn't give you access to the Plastik window theme and
all the rest, let me know and I can dig a little deeper into what I
might have done to fix it. I was doing a lot of stuff at the time to
get 013 set up just the way I like it, so I forget if I did something
else.

> I'm starting to wonder if I'm completely missing something.  I was not
> able to find anything related to my problems (particularly those with
> Manager and all the tracebacks I was getting right and left) by
> searching Google and the GoboLinux mailing lists.  I can't seem to
> figure out GoboLinux.

There is definitely a learning curve, and a need to recognize that the
distro is constantly experimenting. Since I am already over the
learning curve I actually prefer the emphasis on development rather
than polish, because I can keep tabs on what works best and what
doesn't by reading the mailing list. There aren't enough devs to spend
time maintaining and testing separate "guaranteed-stable" packages and
Scripts while continuing development on new features, and although
there's a cost to "newbie-friendliness," I don't mind the balance
they've struck between new features and keeping the system easy to
use.

The mailing list is always very helpful, so feel free to keep asking
questions here until you get the system set up how want it. I'm amazed
at the helpfulness and patience of all the devs at helping users get
things set up right, even when they could have easily dodged the
question by claiming that someone's issue wasn't Gobo-specific. And of
course, other users like me chime in when we recognize the issue. The
mailing list won't give up on you!

I hope you keep trying to get everything working in GoboLinux. If you
spent that much time on it already, you are obviously interested in
the unique aspects of the distro. I'm no Linux expert (I just used
Debian for a year before finding GoboLinux), but I run only GoboLinux
on my home desktop, and I think that it is worth it! I hope you will
too, once you get it set up to your liking :-).

-Andy