[gobolinux-users] Having trouble with software upgrades/installations

Travis Evans travisgevans at cox.net
Sat Dec 23 05:54:45 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 12:53, Andy Feldman wrote:
> /Files/Compile should be world-writable, and I don't think it is by
> default. If you issue 'sudo chmod a+w /Files/Compile' you'll be able
> to call Compile as a regular user without those permission errors,
> and it will prompt you for your password when it needs it. (There are
> a few recipes like the Linux kernel that still need to be run with
> 'sudo Compile Linux', but those are the exception. I normally run
> Compile and InstallPackage as a normal user.)

Thanks, that solved that problem.

> I agree that Manager isn't very usable, although not because mine
> crashes... it just doesn't deal with interaction very well (for
> example when you are prompted to install dependencies). I use Manager
> as a convenient way to list which programs are available, but I
> always drop to the command line to perform the installation. The
> Scripts are extremely easy to use (being designed for standalone use
> rather than designed for the Manager, it seems) so I'd suggest you do
> the same rather than trying to fight with the python issues that
> you're having.

Okay.

> The command-line 100%-cpu lockup when it prompts you to install a
> dependency's dependency seems to be a new bug, as I've noticed the
> same thing with the most recent release of the system Scripts. I just
> use a simple workaround: open a new tab in Konsole, install the
> dependency, then go back to the original tab and say "skip." This
> also helps prevent me from getting confused about what I was
> originally installing, which can happen if I keep getting prompted
> for
> dependencies :-).

I tried that, and that worked out fine.

> [...]
> As for the window styles, I also noticed that some of the normal
> styles (such as Plastik, which I prefer) were missing. I don't know
> exactly what I did to fix it, but it seems like they just showed up.
> Maybe you could try it again after restarting the system, if you
> haven't.

I tried upgrading the KDE packages again, and when I logged out, the
same thing as last time happened as expected, so I rebooted.
Unfortunately, that made the problem worse:  KDM won't start at all
now.  I found this at the end of /System/Variable/log/kdm.log:

QSettings: error creating /tmp/0939142429/.qt
QSettings: failed to open file '/tmp/0939142429/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
QSettings: error creating /tmp/0939142429/.qt
QSettings: failed to open file '/tmp/0939142429/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
FreeFontPath: FPE "/Files/Fonts/Misc" refcount is 2, should be 1;
fixing.
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /Programs/Xorg/7.1/lib/dri/savage_dri.so
failed (/Pr
ograms/Xorg/7.1/lib/dri/savage_dri.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such f
ile or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
    xkb_keycodes             { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
    xkb_types                { include "complete" };
    xkb_compatibility        { include "complete" };
    xkb_symbols              { include "pc/pc(pc104)+pc/us" };
    xkb_geometry             { include "pc(pc104)" };
Could not init font path element /Files/Fonts/CID, removing from list!
Conflict in /Programs/KDE-Libs/3.5.5/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/plastik.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (3.3.7)!
Conflict
in /Programs/KDE-Libs/3.5.5/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/highcontrast.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (3.3.7)!
Conflict
in /Programs/KDE-Libs/3.5.5/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/highcolor.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (3.3.7)!
Conflict in /Programs/KDE-Libs/3.5.5/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/keramik.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (3.3.7)!
Conflict
in /Programs/KDE-Libs/3.5.5/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/kthemestyle.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (3.3.7)!
Conflict in /Programs/KDE-Libs/3.5.5/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/light.so:
  Plugin uses incompatible Qt library (3.3.7)!
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
QSettings: error creating /tmp/0992513396/.qt
QSettings: failed to open file '/tmp/0992513396/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
FreeFontPath: FPE "/Files/Fonts/Misc" refcount is 2, should be 1;
fixing.

I was prompted to upgrade Qt as a dependency, but that seems to be the
problem, maybe.  I seem to have encountered this before, but don't
remember what I did about it.  I tried the command "SymlinkProgram Qt
3.3.6" (is that the command to set the old version back as the "active"
version?), but that had no apparent effect; the messages were exactly
the same.  Removing Qt 3.3.7 and leaving just 3.3.6 didn't solve it,
either, and "3.3.7" still appears in the error messages.  I can't tell
if it's complaining about 3.3.7 or if it needs 3.3.7 (and somehow isn't
finding it--I did try a "SymlinkProgram Qt 3.3.7" also, by the way), or
if it's some other problem.  I think I remembered to upgrade all the
KDE packages.  I tried to upgrade KDM in case that was the problem, but
InstallPackage couldn't find a package for that.

I did accidentally start "xdm" when I was trying to start "kdm", and
that started okay, so at least X itself appears to still work.  (I
didn't try to log back into KDE or anything yet, though.  I'd rather
keep KDM as the login manager.)  I'm not sure what to do from here.
KDE 3.5.5 is a must-have for me, though.  The earlier KDE 3.5.x
releases have too many annoying bugs. :-)

(That reminds me of another question:  What is the GoboLinux equivalent
of a command like "/etc/init.d/kdm restart" (or maybe "/etc/init.d/xdm
restart"--for some reason, my SUSE system uses "xdm" even though it
really uses KDM)?  I found some bootscripts somewhere (I can't seem to
find them now) where one was named "Graphic" or something, but it
didn't appear to be designed to be run directly.  But now I just found
Programs/BootScripts/Current/bin and scripts like StartTask, StopTask,
etc.  Are these what are used to start and stop services?)

> [...]

I have a few questions about some things that occurred earlier during
the package installation process.  First, after installing Shadow
(dependency of some KDE package at some point, I think), I
got "conflict" messages for files "su" and "groups"
in /Programs/CoreUtils/5.97/bin and "su.1" and "groups.1"
in /Programs/CoreUtils/5.97/Shared/man/man1.  Is this serious?  How
would this be resolved?

Sometimes when updating dependencies I get "mod" prompts or something.
I think it's asking me what I want to do about the configuration
settings of the old version, and there are choices like "Auto
merge", "skip", "view", etc.  What would be the best course of action
here?  I've just been choosing "Auto merge".  Is that likely to cause
problems?

At some point (maybe just before rebooting; I can't remember for sure),
the first text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) had messages like "MTRR 5 Not
Used", "MTRR 6 Not Used", etc., or something like that printed on it.
What's that mean, and why is it being printed on this console instead
of in a log file?

Where are the kernel logs (like "messages")?  I didn't see very many
logs in /System/Variable/log.  Is this something that has to be enabled
manually?  I noticed that during bootup at the bottom of the screen, I
get "Failed: Mounting remaining file systems" but I can't figure out
why it's failing.  /System/Variable/log/boot.log has this line, but I
can't make much sense out of it:
> Mounting remaining file systems... [96] mount -a -t
> nonfs,nosmbfs,noproc,noswap
(It's actually one line; my mailer wants to wrap it into two.) I can't
find any similar lines in /System/Settings/fstab.

One odd thing happened when I upgraded Python.  The script failed near
the end with "Error: python: error while loading shared libraries:
libpython2.5.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory".  I thought I was toast because the InstallPackage script
wouldn't work anymore; I kept getting the same error.  But when I found
the library file it was complaining about plain as day
in /Programs/Python/2.5/lib, I guessed to maybe try a "sudo ldconfig".
That fixed that, luckily.  Does the installation system normally run
ldconfig automatically, or do I need to do that manually?  Or did this
just happen because I was trying to update a package that the
installation scripts apparently depend on?  Maybe that's why I got the
weird Python crash with Manager the last time I tried to update
Python--I didn't figure out about ldconfig that time (I also wasn't
aware that it had broken the command-line scripts, too).

--
Travis Evans