[gobolinux-users] Having trouble with software upgrades/installations

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Sun Dec 24 21:54:43 UTC 2006

On 12/24/06, Travis Evans <travisgevans at cox.net> wrote:
> > The way to force one program to link its conflicting files into place
> > over the other one is to run "SymlinkProgram --conflict overwrite
> > Shadow".
>
> Oh, I see.  So "conflict" just means that a package tried to install
> files that already existed from another package?

Yes, that's it.

> > > Where are the kernel logs (like "messages")?  I didn't see very
> > > many logs in /System/Variable/log.  Is this something that has to
> > > be enabled manually?
> >
> > Do you mean the messages that you get as an output from "dmesg"? If
> > it's not that, then I have no idea.
>
> I think so.  On SUSE it's /var/log/messages.  I don't know if that's a
> standard name, but I think it has messages like from dmesg, with time
> stamps before every line.  By default, SUSE also prints the messages to
> a virtual terminal accessed with Ctrl+Alt+F10.

Do we have a syslogd.conf at /System/Settings? I've only installed
013-rc2 here, and my Sysklogd package is lacking it. You can take a
look at 'man syslogd.conf' to create a sample one and check if the
daemons start logging after that.

> When I took a closer look, I found that there was a line that attempted
> to mount /dev/hda4.  If I remember correctly, I have hda1 and hda3 set
> up as primary partitions, and hda2 as an extended partition containing
> hda5 through hda9.  There is no hda4 (I guess it's reserved for a
> fourth primary or extended partition), so I think that's where the
> error came from.  A bug in the GoboLinux installer, perhaps?

Oops. The installer takes a look at the existing partitions,
considering partition types 'b',  'c' and 'e' for Windows, '1', '4',
6' for DOS and '82' for swap. Everything else that's different from
'5' is declared as an additional partition. Can you post the output
for the command 'fdisk -l' here?

> For some reason, it seems that when I use Compile to compile and install
> a program, the Compile script keeps saying at the end that the
> installation (and compilation) failed, even though it apparently ran to
> completion, including installation, without problems.  Does this happen
> to you?

It might be due to left-over files somewhere outside /Programs. You
can just check if that's the problem by running the same command with
the environment variable NO_UNIONFS set (export NO_UNIONFS=true)

Sorry for not being able to reply to your other questions right now,
but I'm overloaded with this Christmas thing :-)

Cheers,

--
Lucas