[gobolinux-users] KDM problem solved; a couple of other issues, maybe...

Andy Feldman nereusren at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 16:54:12 UTC 2006

On 12/25/06, Travis Evans <travisgevans at cox.net> wrote:
> I eventually narrowed the problem down to a single file:
> KDE-Base/3.5.5/Shared/config/kdm/kdmrc.  Then after some messing
> around, I was able to narrow it down to a single line within that file:
>
> ServerCmd=/Programs/Xorg/6.8.2/bin/X -br
> [...]
> And there are several other commented-out lines with "default" values
> pointing to Xorg 6.8.2 as well... go figure.  So, once again starting
> with the original copy of KDE-Base 3.5.5, just correcting that one
> (non-commented) line in that one file made KDM work again.

Very strange: I have that line in my kdmrc, and no Xorg 6.8.2, but I
never experienced the same problem as you. Maybe someone else can shed
light on why, but I'm glad you got it fixed.

> I discovered now, though, that GIMP is really broken... there are no
> fonts at all; ALL characters in the UI display as rectangles.

Step 1: try Krita instead and see if it meets your needs :-). Since
you run KDE, I'm assuming you'd prefer a KDE-based advanced image
editor anyway, to match your look and feel. It's a bit slow, but gets
the job done for me. Krita is part of the Koffice package.

If you still need or prefer the GIMP, maybe someone else can chime in
since I don't have it installed.

> Firefox's UI is still anti-aliased, though, except for the web pages
> themselves, but I'm pretty sure that's because I haven't yet set up the
> default web page fonts to non-bitmapped ones.

Yup. In addition to setting the fonts like I mentioned in an earlier
email, you may have to go into Edit > Preferences > Content >
Fonts&Colors-Section, click "Advanced...", and uncheck the box that
allows web pages to set their own fonts. If you really like some
custom font of some web page this might not be an option for you, but
it's worked well for me so far to force web pages to use my default
font of Bitstream Vera Sans. It definitely eliminates all the jaggies.

-Andy