[gobolinux-users] I'm new; Don't hurt me ;)

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 28 01:54:37 UTC 2006

Hi there,

The last few days I'm trying to install my Yopy (a ancient Linux PDA) with
a new distro. I must admit I'm a Gentoo user these days. My first Linux
experience was with a RedHat box. Bought in the shop. After that I did
Mandrake, Slackware, Mandrake and LFS.

I was a decent LFS user. But you know how things go, you want do something
with your weekends and not spend a complete weekend installing a PC by
hand. I switched to Gentoo, still loving to do Stage1 builds.

But now comes the pain. I hate portage. I hate it is build in python. It
is slow. So I searched for python to C stuff. Came on psyco which was
intel only. My laptop is an iBook and I happen to have unusual hardware,
so this was not an option.

So I searched for 'Compiled Portage'. Slashdot came up with your GoboLinux
as result. I *love* the idea to store programs where they belong. Like
MacOSX does. There are some other thing I would like to see in Linux for
desktop usage that makes things 'look' more simple. One thing is the
possibility to make the homedir case-in-sensitive.

Shevegen on #gobolinux/IRC pointed me to some other packagemanagement on
Gentoo (Paludis). But but I must admit Gobo looks really attractive.

As suggested on IRC... could someone advocate why *I* should switch?

I like:
- Source code building (optimization)
- The fact that a community works for me (/usr/portage)
- Updating

I dislike:
- Bad management utilities
- Slow managment utilities

I would like to use the same system for embedded/desktop/server usage. But
would really like it if I could manage things in a central place. For
example remotely update a server with a GUI that does the work for me.

I can contribute the following things:

- C programmer (Bachelor in Advanced Computer Science)
- Dutch translator
- Ideas

Yours Sincerely,

Stefan de Konink