[gobolinux-users] Idea: Auto-Update from fresh sources

teique teique at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 22:03:50 UTC 2006

I just thought this, a software or a bunch of scripts, integrated with
GoboLinux "way of life" of course, to do this:

Auto-Download (low bandwidth usage):
..packages from SVN like sources from time to time, once a month, or
from released packages with named versions (those links will have to be
pre-configured some-way...).
With an adaptable bandwidth if possible, the same way we find at
well-get from Window$ that checks if its download wont mess with other
downloads/connections so u can play online and download ur stuff fast
bla bla bla :)
Downloads can go at same time of Auto-Compilation to not "loose" time..

Auto-Compile (always issuing "nice -n 19 make" to not mess with our
normal computer usage):
..that try to use a set of ./configure options available at latest
GoboLinux package recipe, or (at failure that should be logged) the
minimum that CompileProgram (as I remember) does set, mainly "--prefix"...
Btw, as we can shutdown machine at any time, a log file will handle
current job resume.

Ask to install (A GUI interface made with Glade3 to easy support):
After compilation, a list of compiled packages/dependencies will be
available to user choose what to install as gobo (root), and make
available also an easy way to revert to previous installed version (that
wont be removed unless asked so).

This remembers something like auto-update but with fresh latest
development code.

A sub-idea here is to "take a snap shot" of the current "system
configuration", I mean what is installed, what versions of each
packages/programs are simultaneously installed, so the system is working
well with those set of packages, and on problems u can revert to that
set of versions on a "click", +- like window$ restore its previous not
crazy state hehe.

-------------
Reasons:

Use the 90% time our (mine at least...) CPUs and internet connection (I
believe most ppl pay a fixed ammount per month no matter how much we use
it) stay iddle while we type texts, play games, read emails, look how
wxSand (check my mod heh
http://www.fallingsandgame.com/wiki/index.php/User:Teique/physics)
evolves XD...

I always thought my computer should be automagically (u understood the
magic part here right? :)) doing stuff to me, to easy my time, to make
me loose less time with obvious automaticable stuff I could be avoiding
loosing time with, and I think this could be a cool thing to help on
that XD.

Why I dont start such project then?

well.. heh... does anyone know about something similar to what I've just
described, that is already being implemented somewhere, and could work
with GoboLinux, at 1st?

I may, when I get inspired and energetic XD (could even be today, I
never know XD), prepare a simple prototype to do like that... I cant
really say "when" :)

To anyone who likes the idea, suggestions are welcome :)