[gobolinux-users] Idea: Auto-Update from fresh sources

Michael Homer gobo-users-dufus at wotfun.com
Sun Dec 31 03:48:48 UTC 2006

On 12/31/06, teique <teique at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I remember well, there is some scripts that can perform the GoboLinux
> distro update (all packages) based on pre-compiled packages or even
> recipes right? Or it is still being implemented?
You can try Freshen. I don't know if it still works, but it and cron
could be set up to do most of what you're getting at. You'd need to
modify it a bit to let you set a download command (so you could add
--limit-rate), and write a wrapper to work out an appropriate speed
and poll.

Its dependency resolution is, to be kind, poor to nonexistent. I
wouldn't recommend using it for a system upgrade that was going to do
anything important (new glibc at the least, although that might be
fixed up in Scripts now). It performs upgrades in arbitrary order and
may install some things more than once if they were an unmet
dependency of a previous install.

I am happy to help anybody who wants to work on updating Freshen -
some chunks of code are pretty poorly-written, although it shouldn't
be too hard to follow. Failing that, I might give it a go myself
sometime, although I don't have a recent and working Gobo system to
develop it on at the moment, so don't hold your breath.
-Michael