[gobolinux-users] relation of menu.lst, inittab and BootScripts

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Sat Mar 11 11:26:29 GMT 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:22:09 +0100, Paraplegic Racehorse
<paraplegic_racehorse at spymac.com> wrote:

> Right, so I severely futzed up my system (Glibc became unlinked and
> _refused_ to relink because sh referenced it and wouldn't execute
> commands of any sort. ick.) and I have spent the last two days getting
> back to a nearly comfortable installation. Here's the deal: I want to
> jump from grub straight to a graphical login manager. The Gobo
> installer (from CD) completely failed (again) to properly set up a boot
> loader so my grub install is done manually and my menu.lst is entirely
> hand-crafted from 0 bits. As far as I have been able to google, there's
> nothing more I can do with menu.lst until I get inttab configured with
> good references in init.d and rc.d. Even then, the available info is
> somewhat less than helpful.

Ok, I'll try to be helpful :)
Depending on how screwed system you have, there are several ways out.

First, if you have been able to restore glibc, you can jump two sections
in this mail.

If you haven't turned your computer of (and as glibc is broken it will
panic when booted) you can save it directly by changing directory to
/System/Links/Executable and run 'sln /Programs/Glibc/2.3.2/bin/<foo>
./<foo>'  where sln is a static variant of 'ln -s', which will work even
if everything else is broken). You have to link the files file by file as
sln can't take neither * or a directory as argument.
When you're done with bin, do the same for sbin and then continue with
libraries and everything else. Soon your system will be stable again.

If you have turned of your computer, boot it from GoboLinux liveCD and
mount your system partition. Then go to System/Links/Executables on the
system partition and execute 'ln -sf ../../../Programs/Glibc/2.3.2/bin/*
.', which will replace all broken links from bin. Then do the same for
sbin and continue with libraries and on.

> Since this is GoboLinux and it has BootScripts, I thought I could avoid
> that whole nasty mess with rc.d and init.d and just edit
> BootScripts/Graphical to exec entranced but that did not do anything
> useful.

When the system is up and running all you would have to do to have a
working inittab is to do 'SymlinkProgram bootscripts' as inittab is a part
of bootscripts.

> So. Where are BootScripts called during boot? How, then, do I massage
> menu.lst and inittab so I still get a console-boot option from grub?

I've pasted my inittab and my menu.lst (from a GoboSystem) at the bottom
of this e-mail. Use them if you want.

The selected BootScript is called from inittab through BootDriver, see
below. The option Boot in menu.lst supersedes the argument for BootDriver
given in inittab.

--
/Jonas

menu.lst
--%<----------------------------
default 0
timeout 5
splashimage (hd0,0)/System/Kernel/Boot/grub/gobolinux-grub.xpm.gz
foreground 003080
background 80c0ff
color white/blue blue/white

title GoboLinux - Graphic Desktop
kernel (hd0,0)/System/Kernel/Boot/kernel root=/dev/hda1 vga=normal
Boot=Graphic

title GoboLinux - Console
kernel (hd0,0)/System/Kernel/Boot/kernel root=/dev/hda1 vga=normal

title GoboLinux - Framebuffer Console
kernel (hd0,0)/System/Kernel/Boot/kernel root=/dev/hda1 vga=791
--%<---------------------------

inittab
--%<---------------------------
id:2:initdefault:

l1:S:wait:/System/Links/Executables/BootDriver BootUp
su:S:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

l2:12345:wait:/System/Links/Executables/BootDriver Console
l6:6:wait:/System/Links/Executables/BootDriver Reboot
l0:0:wait:/System/Links/Executables/BootDriver Halt

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -r now

1:2345:respawn:/System/Links/Executables/agetty tty1 9600
2:2345:respawn:/System/Links/Executables/agetty tty2 9600
3:2345:respawn:/System/Links/Executables/agetty tty3 9600
4:2345:respawn:/System/Links/Executables/agetty tty4 9600
5:2345:respawn:/System/Links/Executables/agetty tty5 9600