[gobolinux-users] Compiling Glibc 2.5

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Wed Nov 1 20:57:20 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Paul Dann <giddie at christian.net> wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Paul,

>   I have only just signed up to this mailing list so I do apologise if I
> break any standing posting conventions... :)

Nothing wrong here :)

>   I recently downloaded RC3 to set up what I hope to be a Samba server /
> general-purpose Linux box at home.  I went for the minimal option at
> installation but later discovered that it worked better if GnuPG was
> also added because the scripts occasionally actually refused to install
> packages (notably GnuPG itself, which leads to a chicken-and-egg
> situation!).

Good to know that. Probably works if you simply copy GnuPG from the
live cd to your installed partition and later SymlinkProgram it,
though.

> Anyway, after struggling with Samba I read that there's a
> bug in Glibc 2.4 leading to an incompatibility, so I decided to compile
> Glibc 2.5.  The 2.4 recipe seems to start fine for 2.5, but there are
> some nasty problems toward the end of the compile (segfaults and
> suchlike).  I'm no Linux expert, but I'm pretty sure the library
> symlinks are OK.  There seems to be something to do with the default
> Settings as they're being installed.  Ldconfig can't find ld.so.cache or
> ld.so.conf as the new program is being installed.  Also, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> gains a colon (ie "/System/Links/Libraries:") after Compile bails out.
> Not being very knowledgeable myself, I don't know what affect this will
> have (I just read that someone else noticed this).  Generally,
> re-symlinking the old Glibc from the live CD fixes any system problems.
> The problem is the same on every install on my system, so I'm hoping
> someone else might have found a solution by now?

I'd suggest you to let Glibc compilation happen under ChrootCompile,
as it looks like your environment is confusing the build (or getting
confused after it's compiled).

To use it, simply perform these steps:

] cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.savannah.nongnu.org:/sources/goboscripts
co tools/ChrootCompile
] cd tools/ChrootCompile
] make install VERSION=`date +%Y%m%d`-snapshot
] SymlinkProgram ChrootCompile

Then just create a working directory such as /Depot/ChrootCompile and
create the ChrootCompile environment by typing:

] SetupChrootEnv

This will fetch the necessary files and will make it possible to
compile new packages safely:

] ChrootCompile /Files/Compile/LocalRecipes/Glibc/2.5

If the compilation succeeds, you'll have a new package stored at
Clean/i686, doing no harm to your installed system if something goes
wrong during its installation. Then it's just a matter of (carefully)
installing the package in your system.

--
Lucas