[gobolinux-users] amd64

Paul Bonser misterpib at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 02:53:10 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Vojta Grec <gobo at morha.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> I read the Gobo ML for quite some time and don't know about any AMD64
> progress now. But why am I writing: I have an x86_64 machine and like
> GoboLinux, so if you start some 64bit thingies, I could join you (I've
> posted twice about my effort to run Gobo on my i586 notebook but I finally
> gave up (at least for now) because the old 011 i386 iso didn't work for me
> (the notebook has no cdrom, so I got the disk into other machine and
> installed, maybe this is the catch) and I needed the notebook to be operable
> in short time). I don't dare to run Gobo as my main OS now because I want to
> utilize all the 64bit power;-) but if there is some more support and
> coordination from the devs ( f.e. I don't feel like compiling kernel and
> glibc every day:-)) and most preferably a way to develop Gobo 64bit port on
> top of any other distro (Kubuntu in my case), I should dedicate some of my
> spare time to this. Or I could install Gobo i686, but that would mean some
> repartitioning and other things that I'm not very fond of.
>
> Vojta

The way I've been looking into getting it running on top of another
distro is by using qemu (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/) which
has support for running as an x86_64 as well as support for kqemu,
which allows large portions of the code to run without having to be
translated first (as long as you have an actual x86_64 as your host
machine). I've been having some issues with qemu-0.8.0 on my machine,
and the latest version 0.8.2 doesn't compile with gcc 4 (which I just
upgraded to, sadly).

Anyway, I'm buying a new harddrive soon (my wife can't argue, it's for
my birthday! :P), and I will install Gobo on that and then bootstrap
an amd64 version from that. From then, it's just a matter of figuring
out what needs to be done to make Gobo64 an official supported version
of Gobolinux (meaning: an ISO, a package repo, and whatever else is
needed) :)

--
PaulB