[gobolinux-users] numlock on

Lucas C. Villa Real lucasvr at gobolinux.org
Wed Nov 8 06:26:18 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Viola Zoltán <violazoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> The numlockx package have I installed, and work in virtual terminals
> correct, when I typed numlockx on/off - but only, if I am not the
> root!
>
> Voilá:
>
> root at Csiszilla KDE-Base/3.5.3/Shared/config/kdm]numlockx off
> Xlib: No protocol specified

You're probably doing a "su -". You need to specify, as the user who
logged in the graphical environment, that other users are able to open
programs in your desktop too. To do that, run the following command as
a regular user in the X terminal: "xhost +localhost". Also, take note
of the output for "echo $DISPLAY".

After you run "su -", type "export DISPLAY=<string>", where <string>
is the value reported by the previous 'echo' command.

Please note that this will make it possible for any user logged in
your computer to simply export that variable and open new graphical
processes on your screen.

This set of commands is not needed if you supress the "-" in the 'su' command.

--
Lucas