[gobolinux-users] numlock on

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 8 07:12:46 UTC 2006

2006/11/8, Viola Zoltán <violazoli at gmail.com>:
> I find in the KDE-Base a file, located in
> /Programs/KDE-Base/3.5.3/Shared/config/kdm and named kdmrc, and in
> this is a line:
>
> #Numlock=Off
>
> I rewrite this, to:
> Numlock=On
>
> but, sorry, in the login and after, the numlock is for me off.

I have not KDE myself but I've read that there should be a setting for
numlock status in the System Settings preferences dialog. Look around
there.

> The numlockx package have I installed, and work in virtual terminals
> correct, when I typed numlockx on/off - but only, if I am not the
> root!

Yes, only the user that started the x session is allowed to use that
display unless other is specified.

> Voilá:
>
> root at Csiszilla KDE-Base/3.5.3/Shared/config/kdm]numlockx off
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Error opening display!
> root at Csiszilla KDE-Base/3.5.3/Shared/config/kdm]exit
> vz at Csiszilla ~]numlockx off
> vz at Csiszilla ~]numlockx on
> (The "vz" is the non-superuser-privilegized user)

Is the vz the users that is logged on to KDE? What does happen when
you run numlockx as this user?