[gobolinux-users] Perl module problems

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 8 13:21:22 UTC 2006

2006/11/8, Paul Dann <giddie at christian.net>:
> Hello again everyone,
>
>   I've been trying to get BackupPC to work for a while now, and have
> overcome numerous problems and learned a lot, but now I've come across a
> very interesting one, and I think I've found a problem with Perl module
> installation on Gobolinux.

To be honest I have never installed a perl module from recipe, I
always use cpan instead. Maybe we can use cpan as well, I have a
feeling that they know this better than us.

> I may be mistaken, but as far as I can tell,
> when a perl module is installed, an entry is added to:
>
> /System/Links/Libraries/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod
>
>   The problem is, whenever I use Compile to compile a new perl module, a
> brand new perllocal.pod is Symlinked from the new module's lib/perl5/...
> instead of the original being modified.  This of course means that only
> one perl module is registered at a time...

This should not happen, instead you should get a warning stating that
there's a conflict. No new program should overwrite any link by
default (this behavious can be changed by specifying the corresponding
option).
If you are sure that you not have specified forcing overwrites of
symlink, please post a bug report at bugs.gobolinux.org.

>   The problem is apparent even on the 013 LiveCD.  Check the link for
> /System/Links/Libraries/perl5 on the LiveCD (in Gobolinux-rest.squashfs)
> and you will see it points to Perl-XML-Parser instead of Perl.
>
> Have I:
>
> 1) asked a stupid question?
no

> 2) lost it?