[gobolinux-users] numlock on

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 8 19:17:44 UTC 2006

2006/11/8, Viola Zoltán <violazoli at gmail.com>:
> Dear Hisham, sorry, I make this change already since a few days, but
> have nothing success.

You could try either this solution or the solution I posted below,
where you change the Graphic bootscript.

Could you try with adding 'numlockx on' (without quotes) to
/Programs/KDE-Base/Current/Shared/config/kdm/Xsetup and see if that
does it?

> I think, the solution of this problem is not be sure in the KDE. While
> I am not login to the system, the KDE not know, to witch user's
> settings should adapts. I mean, this is only a peripherial transfer
> operation of some boot script, after or before the grafic display is
> booting up. The numlock led is in the keyboard, and not in the
> display, I absolute not know, what does this (the numlock-status in
> the keyboard) do to the graphic server? This is in my eyes a simple
> peripherial-operation. (keyboard-operation).

I try to explain and while I'm not sure the X-servers are actually
placed on tty:s, I use that as reference as it is the closest to the
truth I can come with my knowledge of tty:s and X-servers.

The setting is for every terminal, where tty 0-6 is consoles tty 7+ is
used for the X-server. One could have several servers running on
different tty:s and the setting is for every tty. Therefore you need
to enable numlock for every X-server you start, and KDM does that:
starts an X-server for the login dialog. That's why you have to run
'numlockx on' after KDM is spawned (by 'Exec "Loading login
manager..." kdm') or that the login manager, in your case KDM, has
this setting specified, to make this setting valid for the newly
created tty.

> 2006/11/8, Hisham Muhammad <hisham.hm at gmail.com>:
> > Yay, I think I found it.
> >
> > /Programs/KDE-Base/Current/Shared/config/kdm/kdmrc
> >
> > look for
> > #NumLock=Off
> > and change it to
> > NumLock=On
> >
> > -- Hisham
> >
> > On 11/8/06, Viola Zoltán <violazoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear Fábio, with these line-change I have sorry nothing change in the
> > > work of the KDE with numlock.

Strange. Could you change it to:

source BootUp
Exec "Loading login manager..." kdm
Exec "Enabling numlock..." numlockx on

And after you have booted look at /System/Variable/log/boot.log and
see if you can see any errors at the bottom of that file (to any 013
dev: are bootlogging enabled by default?).

--
/Jonas