[gobolinux-users] Missing cardmgr

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 8 21:50:09 UTC 2006

2006/11/8, Ben Taylor <bentay at gmail.com>:
> On 11/8/06, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:
>
> > 2006/11/8, Ben Taylor <bentay at gmail.com>:
> > > Hey all
> > >     Is there some other program to manage pcmcia cards on a laptop
> without
> > > cardmgr, it doesn't appear to be on 013 by default.  If I hook up a
> wired
> > > network and try
> > > 'Compile cardmgr' that doesn't work either.
> > > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > First I think Udev should handle pcmcia card now (loading module and
> > firmware and such). Otherwice the package containing cardmgr is called
> > pcmcia-cs.
>
> Thanks for the info about pcmcia-cs.
> I would like to learn more about udev, as I do not know much about it.  How
> might I go about debugging why the eth1 never gets created? Any good
> links/info about udev?
> My card uses the hermes/orinoco drivers.
> Thanks again.

Look at 'dmesg | tail' when you insert the card and see what the
kernel says about it. You probably get some error as udev wont load
your kernel module. If you don't understand the error or output, just
reply with it here.
You should also make sure that you have the kernel module for your
ethernet card ready and loadable.

perhaps these links can be of assistance:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html
http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

--