[gobolinux-users] Missing cardmgr

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 23:27:26 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Ben Taylor <bentay at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:
> > 2006/11/8, Ben Taylor <bentay at gmail.com>:
> > > Hey all
> > >     Is there some other program to manage pcmcia cards on a laptop
> without
> > > cardmgr, it doesn't appear to be on 013 by default.  If I hook up a
> wired
> > > network and try
> > > 'Compile cardmgr' that doesn't work either.
> > > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > First I think Udev should handle pcmcia card now (loading module and
> > firmware and such). Otherwice the package containing cardmgr is called
> > pcmcia-cs.
>
> Thanks for the info about pcmcia-cs.
> I would like to learn more about udev, as I do not know much about it.  How
> might I go about debugging why the eth1 never gets created? Any good
> links/info about udev?
> My card uses the hermes/orinoco drivers.
> Thanks again.

It's been a while since I last used a PCMCIA card, but I looked around
for information and found that pcmcia-cs has been superseded by
PCMCIAutils.
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/pcmcia.html

I looked into making recipes for PCMCIAutils, but from what I looked
it seems we'll have to fix a glitch in the Udev recipe to make it find
the PCMCIA files.

I came up with these recipes, but I can't really test them fully since
I don't have PCMCIA here:
http://hisham.gobolinux.org/Udev--095--recipe.tar.bz2
http://hisham.gobolinux.org/SysFSUtils--2.1.0--recipe.tar.bz2
http://hisham.gobolinux.org/Flex--2.5.33--recipe.tar.bz2
http://hisham.gobolinux.org/PCMCIAutils--014--recipe.tar.bz2
Please give them a try -- if they work, we'll add them to the recipe store.

And here's the how-to on using PCMCIAutils:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/howto.html

Hope that helps!

-- Hisham