[gobolinux-users] Ruby and Rubygems

Hisham Muhammad hisham.hm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 03:36:11 UTC 2006

> Hello List,
>
> Been using GoboLinux since release 006/7 but started playing with Ruby
> a year back (on Windows and Ubuntu).
>
> Now that I'm want to fully migrate to Gobo, what should be the best
> approach for rubygems?
>
> Should I install rubygems using setup.rb and set Environment variable
> GEM_HOME to /Files/?
>
> Or we could package rubygems (.tgz) as Gobo package and install it
> separately from Ruby?

A good question, and one for which I'm not sure we have a final
answer. From what
I've seen in other distributions, RubyGems tends to isolate itself from whatever
package management the host system provides, doesn't it? In that case, maybe
creating a /Files/RubyGems/ and using that would be the simplest path. If a
separate installation prefix can be given when installing each gem, then perhaps
they can live happily in /Programs, like Perl and Python packages.

I don't have firsthand experience using RubyGems, though. I'd like to hear your
opinion as a Ruby user on the topic.

-- Hisham