[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Sean Russell gobo at ser1.net
Wed Nov 15 14:28:26 UTC 2006

Hey,

I ran into some issues putting Gobo on my laptop, and I'd like to either
find a resource that answers these.  I browsed around in the Gobo
website -- the FAQ seems under-populated, nobody apparently uses the
forums, and a search of the mailing list didn't turn up answers to the
ones that I checked for.

1) I have an IPW2200 chip, and the Gobo kernel is compiled with the
IPW2200 driver, but the driver requires firmware.  I couldn't find a
package for the firmware (is there one?), and then I discovered that I
couldn't locate a firmware directory anywhere on the system -- which I
thought strange.  I copied the firmwares over from my Gentoo partition
and stuffed them into /lib/firmware, which worked, but seems like an
awful hack.

2) Are there any instructions for compiling one's own kernel?  That is,
where do the sources live, etc.  I eventually used Compile to download
the sources and interrupted the build process, and then tracked down
the unpacked sources in Files, where I configured and compiled it
myself... but, again, this seems like the Wrong Thing To Do.

3) Where's software suspend?  The 2.6 kernel comes with a native
software suspend... but I couldn't find a configuration option for it
in the Gobo 2.6 kernel.  I have a hard time that some patch is removing
it... what am I missing?

4) Is there a document somewhere that lists all of the Gobo-specific
package management commands?  For example, is there a command for
removing a package?  Sure you can rm -rf the package, but that doesn't
remove symbolic links.  How about searching for available recipes, or
binaries?  Again, if this is commonly done with simple command line
tools, then is there any documentation about *where* to look?  I'm
happy to write utility shell scripts for simplifying tasks like this,
but I suspect that I'm just ignorant about existing tools for
performing operations like this.  I didn't see any obvious list of
how-to's for any of these, and they aren't mentioned in the "common
tasks" page.

5) Finally, is there any documentation on the init system?  My laptop
requires a number of configurations (setting up the touch-screen,
keymapping special keys, etc.), and I'd like to know where to hook into
the init system.  It seems Just Wrong to hack the init script itself --
that can only end it tears, next time I upgrade.

I'm sure that I'll have more, but I have to solve these first before my
laptop becomes usable under Gobo on a day-to-day basis.

Entirely unrelated, has anybody looked at Debians event-based init
system, Upstart?  If there's no current effort being made to port it to
Gobo, then I'll give it a shot.  Otherwise, I'd appreciate the parties
working on it to speak up, so that I can give a hand.

Thanks!

---- SER

Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.