[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 15 15:30:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:28:26 +0100, Sean Russell <gobo at ser1.net> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I ran into some issues putting Gobo on my laptop, and I'd like to either
> find a resource that answers these.  I browsed around in the Gobo
> website -- the FAQ seems under-populated, nobody apparently uses the
> forums, and a search of the mailing list didn't turn up answers to the
> ones that I checked for.

Then feel free to ask here :)
We're glad to help.

> 1) I have an IPW2200 chip, and the Gobo kernel is compiled with the
> IPW2200 driver, but the driver requires firmware.  I couldn't find a
> package for the firmware (is there one?), and then I discovered that I
> couldn't locate a firmware directory anywhere on the system -- which I
> thought strange.  I copied the firmwares over from my Gentoo partition
> and stuffed them into /lib/firmware, which worked, but seems like an
> awful hack.

There's a package for this in the contrib store:
http://gobo.calica.com/packages/contrib/IPW2200-Firmware--3.0--i686.tar.bz2
Just install that and it will work. I too use the ipw2200 chip.

> 2) Are there any instructions for compiling one's own kernel?  That is,
> where do the sources live, etc.  I eventually used Compile to download
> the sources and interrupted the build process, and then tracked down
> the unpacked sources in Files, where I configured and compiled it
> myself... but, again, this seems like the Wrong Thing To Do.

Why do you want to break the kernel compilation? 'Compile linux' does
everything that needs to be done including installing the kernel and
replacing the old kernel symlink, so grub will select it next boot.
'Compile linux' downloads the sources, unpacks and patches them and then
launches 'make menuconfig'. When the user has selected whats needed (or
just left the GoboLinux defaults, which comes with the recipe) and exits
menuconfig the kernel (and modules) are built and installed and the proper
links are created.

> 3) Where's software suspend?  The 2.6 kernel comes with a native
> software suspend... but I couldn't find a configuration option for it
> in the Gobo 2.6 kernel.  I have a hard time that some patch is removing
> it... what am I missing?

 From menuconfig (did you know you could type / in menuconfig and search
for for example 'software'?):
Symbol: SOFTWARE_SUSPEND [=y]
   x Prompt: Software Suspend
   x   Defined at kernel/power/Kconfig:39
   x   Depends on: !X86_VOYAGER && (PM && SWAP && X86 && (!SMP ||
SUSPEND_SMP) || (FRV || PPC32) && !SMP)
   x   Location:
   x     -> Power management options (ACPI, APM)

which means that you can't use the x86 voyager architecture, if you use
the x86 architecture you must have power management enabled, you must have
swap enabled (general setup) and if you use multiple processor support you
also must select suspend support for that and finally if you use FRV (to
unknown) architecture or the ppc 32 bits architecture you cannot have
multi processor support selected.

In short: as you probably use x86 see that power management support is
selected and if you have an SMP system see that suspend_smp is selected.
But it isn't that simple though. There is no selectable symbol called
suspend_smp and search gives no clue. Instead I went to the Kconfig file
in the sources (kernel/power/Kconfig) and found that suspend_smp depends
on hotplug_cpu, x86 and power management. The latter two are already
selected and hotplug_cpu is at the bottom of processor type and features
(if you have selected to use experimental code in code maturity level
options. Easy, huh?

> 4) Is there a document somewhere that lists all of the Gobo-specific
> package management commands?  For example, is there a command for
> removing a package?  Sure you can rm -rf the package, but that doesn't
> remove symbolic links.  How about searching for available recipes, or
> binaries?  Again, if this is commonly done with simple command line
> tools, then is there any documentation about *where* to look?  I'm
> happy to write utility shell scripts for simplifying tasks like this,
> but I suspect that I'm just ignorant about existing tools for
> performing operations like this.  I didn't see any obvious list of
> how-to's for any of these, and they aren't mentioned in the "common
> tasks" page.

Look under "System Management" on the wiki:
http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/GoboLinux_Documentation_Project
Short RemovePrograms remove the programs and any dead links.
DisableProgram just removes the links keeping the program for later
insertion with SymlinkProgram.

> 5) Finally, is there any documentation on the init system?  My laptop
> requires a number of configurations (setting up the touch-screen,
> keymapping special keys, etc.), and I'd like to know where to hook into
> the init system.  It seems Just Wrong to hack the init script itself --
> that can only end it tears, next time I upgrade.

Look for the section "Boot Scripts" in the above link.

> I'm sure that I'll have more, but I have to solve these first before my
> laptop becomes usable under Gobo on a day-to-day basis.
>
> Entirely unrelated, has anybody looked at Debians event-based init
> system, Upstart?  If there's no current effort being made to port it to
> Gobo, then I'll give it a shot.  Otherwise, I'd appreciate the parties
> working on it to speak up, so that I can give a hand.

I've thought about it (isn't it ubuntu's, not debian's, init system?) but
don't have the time in the near future to look into it. I don't think
anyone else has either, so feel free to look at it.

> Confidentiality Notice
> This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the
> recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged
> information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any
> other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender
> of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.

Please remove such footers when posting to a public list. As it's intended
for the public it really does not matter (as it really meant anything
anyway?).

--
/Jonas