[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Wed Nov 15 17:56:35 UTC 2006

Jonas Karlsson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:28:26 +0100, Sean Russell <gobo at ser1.net> wrote:
>> 1) I have an IPW2200 chip, and the Gobo kernel is compiled with the
>> IPW2200 driver, but the driver requires firmware.  I couldn't find a
>> package for the firmware (is there one?), and then I discovered that I
>> couldn't locate a firmware directory anywhere on the system -- which I
>> thought strange.  I copied the firmwares over from my Gentoo partition
>> and stuffed them into /lib/firmware, which worked, but seems like an
>> awful hack.
>
> There's a package for this in the contrib store:
> http://gobo.calica.com/packages/contrib/IPW2200-Firmware--3.0--i686.tar.bz2
> Just install that and it will work. I too use the ipw2200 chip.

BTW, is there a standard of who's in charge of loading the firware and
how to find the right one for what device and when to load it?

I have a midisport 2x2 usb midi interface, and it uses the
Midisport-Firmware package which installs the firmware in
Shared/usb/maudio, and installs udev rules that calls FxLoad to load the
firmware to the device, trough /proc/bus/usb....

And on my laptop my wireless card needs firmware too, which is loaded by
that windows-wrapper-thing (can't remember the name now) automagically
when I load the wrappers kernel module.

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-