[gobolinux-users] Perl module problems

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 15 19:30:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:24:04 +0100, Carlo Calica <carlo at calica.com> wrote:

> On 11/8/06, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:
>>
>> To be honest I have never installed a perl module from recipe, I
>> always use cpan instead. Maybe we can use cpan as well, I have a
>> feeling that they know this better than us.
>>

> How do you have CPAN configured?  Specifically where does cpan install
> the new perl modules?  I seem to remember that cpan, by default,
> installs in /P/Perl/ which isn't good.  Somewhere in /Files makes
> sense.  I would be great if the Perl package had a sane default config
> for cpan (hint, hint :-).

Hehe :)
I see no problem in installing CPAN files anywhere. I've tried and was
able to install it to /Files/CPAN (just a test directory) without a sweat.
Though I don't see the real problem with installing cpan modules in Perl
there should be no problems as long as we set the PERL5LIB var in the
Environment files to include whatever directory we choose. So where should
that be?

> PS.  Yes cpan is an "ugly other package manager" but it has full
> coverage of perl modules.  That is a LOT of work to duplicate
> especially wrt defining dependencies.

Yes, that's what I thought as well (the dependency part) that's why I
stuck to cpan. Otoh it's nice to have the packages available through
Compile and Manager.

--
/Jonas