[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Sean Russell gobo at ser1.net
Wed Nov 15 20:18:03 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 10:30, Jonas Karlsson wrote:
> Then feel free to ask here :)

Thanks for responding.

> > 1) I have an IPW2200 chip, and the Gobo kernel is compiled with the
> There's a package for this in the contrib store:
> http://gobo.calica.com/packages/contrib/IPW2200-Firmware--3.0--i686.t
>ar.bz2 Just install that and it will work. I too use the ipw2200 chip.

Ok.  So... how do I find these?  I'm pretty sure that I tried Compile
and InstallPackage, but I may not have.  In any case, what's the
correct way to find packages and recipes?  I tried "FindPackage IPW",
which returned no results.  For that matter, "FindPackage --type=recipe
KDE" also returns no results.  Do I need to initialize a cache or
something?

> Why do you want to break the kernel compilation? 'Compile linux' does
> everything that needs to be done including installing the kernel and
> replacing the old kernel symlink, so grub will select it next boot.

Well, I want to bring over a kernel configuration from Gentoo and use
that instead.  This is an edge case.  And what happens to the kernel
sources after the install?  Are they removed?

> > 3) Where's software suspend?  The 2.6 kernel comes with a native
>  From menuconfig (did you know you could type / in menuconfig and
> search for for example 'software'?):

Yeah.  I did a grep for SUSPEND in the Gobo .config, and there were no
software suspend matches.  My problem was that the Gobo config enables
SMP by default.  Which is why I was better off pulling my .config over
from Gentoo :-)

> Look under "System Management" on the wiki:
> http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/GoboLinux_Documentation_Project

I got distracted by the "Utility Scripts" link that goes nowhere.  I
didn't see the management page.  Thanks.

> Look for the section "Boot Scripts" in the above link.

Again, thanks.

> > Entirely unrelated, has anybody looked at Debians event-based init
> > system, Upstart?  If there's no current effort being made to port
> I've thought about it (isn't it ubuntu's, not debian's, init system?)
> but don't have the time in the near future to look into it. I don't
> think anyone else has either, so feel free to look at it.

Yes, you're right, it is Ubuntu.  Which -- in my mind -- is Debian;  I
tend to mentally group distributions by their package management
format.

> > Confidentiality Notice
> Please remove such footers when posting to a public list. As it's
> intended for the public it really does not matter (as it really meant
> anything anyway?).

I can't.  The mail server appends them; I have no control over it.

--- SER

Confidentiality Notice
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.