[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 15 20:54:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:18:03 +0100, Sean Russell <gobo at ser1.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 November 2006 10:30, Jonas Karlsson wrote:
>> Then feel free to ask here :)
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
>> > 1) I have an IPW2200 chip, and the Gobo kernel is compiled with the
>> There's a package for this in the contrib store:
>> http://gobo.calica.com/packages/contrib/IPW2200-Firmware--3.0--i686.t
>> ar.bz2 Just install that and it will work. I too use the ipw2200 chip.
>
> Ok.  So... how do I find these?  I'm pretty sure that I tried Compile
> and InstallPackage, but I may not have.  In any case, what's the
> correct way to find packages and recipes?  I tried "FindPackage IPW",
> which returned no results.  For that matter, "FindPackage --type=recipe
> KDE" also returns no results.  Do I need to initialize a cache or
> something?

No. Unfortunatly FindPackage (or Compile or InstallPackage) doesn't do
wildcard matches or searches the contrib package store. The only way you
can find contrib packages is to browse the store on your nearest mirror.

>> Why do you want to break the kernel compilation? 'Compile linux' does
>> everything that needs to be done including installing the kernel and
>> replacing the old kernel symlink, so grub will select it next boot.
>
> Well, I want to bring over a kernel configuration from Gentoo and use
> that instead.  This is an edge case.  And what happens to the kernel
> sources after the install?  Are they removed?

You could load the .config file from menuconfig. That way you don't have
to break the compile.
Sources are kept and appropiate links are kreated for module compiling to
find the sources.

>> > 3) Where's software suspend?  The 2.6 kernel comes with a native
>>  From menuconfig (did you know you could type / in menuconfig and
>> search for for example 'software'?):
>
> Yeah.  I did a grep for SUSPEND in the Gobo .config, and there were no
> software suspend matches.  My problem was that the Gobo config enables
> SMP by default.  Which is why I was better off pulling my .config over
> from Gentoo :-)

Well, if you don't have a SMP you should disable it.
fwiw I don't think it's a good idea to ship a config with SMP on by
default. Which recipe was it you used?

>> > Confidentiality Notice
>> Please remove such footers when posting to a public list. As it's
>> intended for the public it really does not matter (as it really meant
>> anything anyway?).
>
> I can't.  The mail server appends them; I have no control over it.

You could use a different smtp server.

--
/Jonas