[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 15 21:04:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:56:35 +0100, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com>
wrote:

> Jonas Karlsson wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:28:26 +0100, Sean Russell <gobo at ser1.net> wrote:
>>> 1) I have an IPW2200 chip, and the Gobo kernel is compiled with the
>>> IPW2200 driver, but the driver requires firmware.  I couldn't find a
>>> package for the firmware (is there one?), and then I discovered that I
>>> couldn't locate a firmware directory anywhere on the system -- which I
>>> thought strange.  I copied the firmwares over from my Gentoo partition
>>> and stuffed them into /lib/firmware, which worked, but seems like an
>>> awful hack.
>>
>> There's a package for this in the contrib store:
>> http://gobo.calica.com/packages/contrib/IPW2200-Firmware--3.0--i686.tar.bz2
>> Just install that and it will work. I too use the ipw2200 chip.
>
> BTW, is there a standard of who's in charge of loading the firware and
> how to find the right one for what device and when to load it?

Who, as in person, or which app that's used?
In 013 it's Udev that takes care of that.

> I have a midisport 2x2 usb midi interface, and it uses the
> Midisport-Firmware package which installs the firmware in
> Shared/usb/maudio, and installs udev rules that calls FxLoad to load the
> firmware to the device, trough /proc/bus/usb....

Yes, a udev rule would be the way to go, even though I can't follow where
the firmware is installed or how it's loaded in the end... :)

> And on my laptop my wireless card needs firmware too, which is loaded by
> that windows-wrapper-thing (can't remember the name now) automagically
> when I load the wrappers kernel module.

I don't know if it's ndiswrapper you're refering to but that doesn't need
any firmware. Just the windows drivers (once, when they're loaded you can
remove them) for the nic.

--
/Jonas