[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Wed Nov 15 21:51:54 UTC 2006

Jonas Karlsson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:56:35 +0100, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Jonas Karlsson wrote:
>>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:28:26 +0100, Sean Russell <gobo at ser1.net> wrote:
>> BTW, is there a standard of who's in charge of loading the firware and
>> how to find the right one for what device and when to load it?
>>
> Who, as in person, or which app that's used?
> In 013 it's Udev that takes care of that.

Which app... =)

>> I have a midisport 2x2 usb midi interface, and it uses the
>> Midisport-Firmware package which installs the firmware in
>> Shared/usb/maudio, and installs udev rules that calls FxLoad to load the
>> firmware to the device, trough /proc/bus/usb....
>>
> Yes, a udev rule would be the way to go, even though I can't follow where
> the firmware is installed or how it's loaded in the end... :)

It's udev rules looks like this:
# MidiSport 2x2
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DEVPATH=="/*.0",
ENV{PRODUCT}=="763/1001/*", RUN+="/System/Links/Executables/fxload -s
/Programs/Midisport-Firmware/1.2/share/usb/maudio/MidiSportLoader.ihx -I
/Programs/Midisport-Firmware/1.2/share/usb/maudio/MidiSport2x2.ihx"

>> And on my laptop my wireless card needs firmware too, which is loaded by
>> that windows-wrapper-thing (can't remember the name now) automagically
>> when I load the wrappers kernel module.
>>
> I don't know if it's ndiswrapper you're refering to but that doesn't need
> any firmware. Just the windows drivers (once, when they're loaded you can
> remove them) for the nic.

Yes, ndiswrapper it was...
Are you sure there isn't firmware in the drivers? I think I've read that
my card (netgear wg511 v2) needs firmware. BTW, where does ndiswrapper
store the drivers once loaded?

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-