[gobolinux-users] Perl module problems

Jonatan Liljedahl lijon at kymatica.com
Wed Nov 15 21:59:46 UTC 2006

Jonas Karlsson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:24:04 +0100, Carlo Calica <carlo at calica.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/8/06, Jonas Karlsson <jonka750 at student.liu.se> wrote:
>>> To be honest I have never installed a perl module from recipe, I
>>> always use cpan instead. Maybe we can use cpan as well, I have a
>>> feeling that they know this better than us.
>>>
>> How do you have CPAN configured?  Specifically where does cpan install
>> the new perl modules?  I seem to remember that cpan, by default,
>> installs in /P/Perl/ which isn't good.  Somewhere in /Files makes
>> sense.  I would be great if the Perl package had a sane default config
>> for cpan (hint, hint :-).
>
> Hehe :)
> I see no problem in installing CPAN files anywhere. I've tried and was
> able to install it to /Files/CPAN (just a test directory) without a sweat.
> Though I don't see the real problem with installing cpan modules in Perl
> there should be no problems as long as we set the PERL5LIB var in the
> Environment files to include whatever directory we choose. So where should
> that be?

Why not in /Programs/Perl-$MODULENAME? It would be great to use cpan, I
always have a hard time trying to create working recipes for perl-modules...

>> PS.  Yes cpan is an "ugly other package manager" but it has full
>> coverage of perl modules.  That is a LOT of work to duplicate
>> especially wrt defining dependencies.
>>
> Yes, that's what I thought as well (the dependency part) that's why I
> stuck to cpan. Otoh it's nice to have the packages available through
> Compile and Manager.

Perhaps one could integrate cpan support into Compile and have a
recipe_type=cpan? with url beeing only the module name and version...
It could even install the modules in nice /Programs/Perl-$MODULENAME
dirs... Then you could have a flag for MakeRecipe so you could simply do
"MakeRecipe --cpan ModuleName [Version]"!

--
/Jonatan    -=( http://kymatica.com )=-