[gobolinux-users] General admin questions

Jonas Karlsson jonka750 at student.liu.se
Wed Nov 15 22:30:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:51:54 +0100, Jonatan Liljedahl <lijon at kymatica.com>
wrote:

> Jonas Karlsson wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:56:35 +0100, Jonatan Liljedahl
>> <lijon at kymatica.com>
>> wrote:

>>> BTW, is there a standard of who's in charge of loading the firware and
>>> how to find the right one for what device and when to load it?
>>>
>> Who, as in person, or which app that's used?
>> In 013 it's Udev that takes care of that.
>
> Which app... =)

Ok, so for 013 it's pure udev (or anything else specified in a rule). On
012 (default), which uses udev 053, udev call the hotplug script.

>>> I have a midisport 2x2 usb midi interface, and it uses the
>>> Midisport-Firmware package which installs the firmware in
>>> Shared/usb/maudio, and installs udev rules that calls FxLoad to load
>>> the
>>> firmware to the device, trough /proc/bus/usb....
>>>
>> Yes, a udev rule would be the way to go, even though I can't follow
>> where
>> the firmware is installed or how it's loaded in the end... :)
>
> It's udev rules looks like this:
> # MidiSport 2x2
> ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DEVPATH=="/*.0",
> ENV{PRODUCT}=="763/1001/*", RUN+="/System/Links/Executables/fxload -s
> /Programs/Midisport-Firmware/1.2/share/usb/maudio/MidiSportLoader.ihx -I
> /Programs/Midisport-Firmware/1.2/share/usb/maudio/MidiSport2x2.ihx"

Ok. Fxload actually loads the firmware onto the USB device (try 'man
fxload'). I don't know how or why, but if it works don't mess with it. ;)

>>> And on my laptop my wireless card needs firmware too, which is loaded
>>> by
>>> that windows-wrapper-thing (can't remember the name now) automagically
>>> when I load the wrappers kernel module.
>>>
>> I don't know if it's ndiswrapper you're refering to but that doesn't
>> need
>> any firmware. Just the windows drivers (once, when they're loaded you
>> can
>> remove them) for the nic.
>
> Yes, ndiswrapper it was...
> Are you sure there isn't firmware in the drivers? I think I've read that
> my card (netgear wg511 v2) needs firmware. BTW, where does ndiswrapper
> store the drivers once loaded?

I'm not sure, as I don't use ndiwrapper any more. But I had irc open so I
asked in their channel and they said /etc/ndiswrapper, so depending on how
well behaved ndiswrapper is you should look in
/Programs/Ndiswrapper/Settings or just /System/Settings

--
/Jonas